A COMMUNIQUE ISSUED BY NATIONAL UNION OF RIVERS STATE STUDENTS (NURSS), NATIONAL SECRETARIAT ON WEDNESDAY 4 NOVEMBER 2020
A COMMUNIQUE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL UNION OF RIVERS STATE STUDENTS (NURSS), NATIONAL SECRETARIAT AT THE END OF HER EXECUTIVE/SENATE And STAKEHOLDERS CONFERENCE HELD AT LEZON HOTEL IN PORT HARCOURT.
Consequent upon the National Executive Council/Stakeholders meeting of the National Union of Rivers State Students ( NURSS ), National Secretariat on Wednesday 4th November 2020 as presided over by the National President Comr. LEVI ZACHARIAH GEORGE, The National Executive Council deliberated on the State of the Union and way forward, Bursary,
Students involvement on critical matters of the state and the generality of the welfare of Rivers State Students . After very robust consideration of the foregoing scenarios of the state of the union, the meeting resolved as follows:
- The union is saddened by the continuous absence of a Special Adviser on Students affairs to the Governor of Rivers State. The office which serves as the link between the Government and Students community have been left vacant for over five (5) years causing a breach in communication and some level of inaccessibility of the Government by Students.
Hence, we call on the Governor of Rivers State ably Led by Chief Barr. Nyensom EzenwoWike CON POS Africa to create a Students window in His Government by appointing a Special Adviser on Students affair.
- NURSS National Secretariat wishes to call on the Rivers State Governor Mr. Quality project to review his plans on Students bursary payment and equally commence the payment of Rivers State Students Bursary as he earlier promised in his first tenure as our dear Governor, owing to the fact that he is a talk and do Governor. Recall that, the union has been calling on the need for Government to intervene in Students welfare during this pandemic. This bursary is a support for the Rivers state Students which will go a long way in helping the students pay their fees. Sadly so many students have not been able to pay their fees up till now. Due to the destabilization brought on by the Corona virus COVID-19.
- In view of ensuring that the bursary payment gets to genuine Students of our dear Rivers State, the union has also resolved that all bursary payment should be paid directly to the portal of all her Students. This is to show transparency in the process to also clear the rant about embezzlement or hijack of the process which we believe it’s one of the obstacles delaying the process.
- The union is also calling on the attention of the Governor to also check on the Union’s Secretariat during his inspection of projects in the state which has been completed and needs commissioning. We believe that he is a busy man and sometimes needs to be reminded of specific projects like this as the construction of the building has lasted for about two (2) years now. And up till now, the union doesn’t have a secretariat to carry out her activities and functions effectively.
- The union doesn’t have a Bus for mobility and we find it difficult in attending to critical issues affecting the students of Rivers State outside and within the state, we therefore plead that His Excellency should provide a bus for the union for easy mobility.
- We are also calling on the Governor to have an interactive session with all students in tertiary institution, secondary and primary schools in the state, The session will feature discussions of challenges hindering the development of education, security and their possible solutions.
- In the event that any of this resolution is not looked into for consideration on or before 25th November, 2020, the organized National Union of Rivers State Students (NURSS) would not hesitate to come out in a peaceful Demonstration on the streets of Port Harcourt to demand for this as we have already formed our committee for the mobilization of our students come 26th November, 2020.
- Finally, We appreciate and commend the peaceful nature of our students during the “ENDSARS” protests in Rivers State. We therefore call on all our students both home and diaspora whom have been actively involved in the peaceful demonstration of the EndSARS PROTEST to remain vigilant and report all suspicious characters to the security agencies for immediate action.
- Let me appeal to our Students not to allow themselves to be used to misinterpret the good aim of the ENDSARS protest.
- Thank you and God bless you all.
Long Live Rivers State Students
Long Live Rivers State
Long Live Nigeria
Aluta continua, Victoria Acerta
COMR. LEVI ZACHARIAH GEORGE
NURSS NAT’L PRESIDENT,
COMR. CHINONDU WOKOCHA
COMR. MIRACLE BARILEE
Leonard Nwike – NURSS President, Fedpoly, Nekede
Festus Joshua – NURSS Natl ASG, West
Gabriel Ebiriene – NURSS President, UNICAL
Chuku Chituru Diana – NURSS President, Ghana
Tamunobere Tamunobelema – NURSS Natl D.O.T
Nlorle Barisitam George -NURSS Natl Provost 1
Goodluck Ominaberisom Willington – NURSS President, CRUTECH Calabar
Endwell Otonnah – NURSS Natl DOS
Douglas Tekena – NURSS Natl Vice President, North
Tuale Prince – Member
Governor of Rivers State
Speaker, Rivers state house of Assembly
Secretary to the state Government
Chief of Staff Rivers State Government House
Commissioner of Education
Commissioner of Youths Development
Commissioner of Police
Director, Department of State Security (DSS) Rivers State.
All Management of Institutions
Civil Society organisations
Human Rights commission
Chairman, NYCN Rivers State.
NURSS National Senate
All Media Houses
All Notice Boards
HIS EXECELLENCY,CHIEF BARR. E.N. WIKE, CON,DSSR,POS AFRICA,The Executive GovernorRivers St…